Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Can we slow it down a bit?

How is that one day your little one can hardly hold their head up alone and the next thing you know they are dropping them off at school in the carpool line, allowing them to walk into to class alone. Why does time go by so fast as you get older. Why can't time be like it was when we were children? Time would slowly pass from one birthday to the next and days seemed to last forever as the sun very slowly crept behind the mountains.
Can't that be the way with your children growing up? Can we hit slow motion allowing us to capture every moment and really let the experience settle into our memory so that we can recall every move they make?
I have been keeping a journal of the kids since the moment we found out we were pregnant with each of them. Every now and then I glance back through the years and just allow myself to live in that moment for a little while. That has been the best thing that I have done for myself as a mother. I think I drive Dan nuts with my speratic reading from the past years of John and Adelynn. He, on the computer, trying to keep up with the buckeyes or the latest must have comic book and me ranting on about "remember when..." I know he secretly loves it when I do that.
I makes me sad to think that in a blink of an eye we will be empty nesters and I will be wishing for John to leave a saucy trail on all the cabinets and light fixture in the bathroom after having pasta for lunch. Or Adelynn allowing the artist, within her, to come out while she has a poopy diaper... I will leave it at that : (
I will try to remember this blog the next time...

No comments: